Friday, October 26, 2007

Working from Home

Yesterday my boss approved my request to work from home 3 days a week, and only go in to the office on Mondays and Wednesdays. So now I'll have a lot more time to work on Treenimation. But before I start working from home, I must set up my home computer with all our development tools, as well as install a Linux partition so I can develop the Linux version of Treenimation along with the Windows version.

I'm almost finished reading the Python tutorial, and this weekend I hope to begin translating the part of Treenimation I call the TIL Loader from Object Pascal into Python.

Benefits of working from home:
  1. More time to work on Treenimation
  2. Save money (don't need a car)
  3. Less hassle (won't have a car to worry about)
  4. More environmentally friendly (no more driving to work)
  5. Healthier lunches (fewer McDonald's/Wendy's meals)
  6. More exercise (going for walks in my neighbourhood)

To Do List:

  1. Go to http://www.laptop.org/ and find out which version of Linux they recommend
  2. Find out space requirements of Linux, Python, PyGtk, Sugar, etc.
  3. Download Linux and burn it onto DVDs
  4. Buy Partition Magic
  5. Back up my home computer's data onto a CD
  6. Make partitions for Linux and Windows XP
  7. Install Linux at home
  8. Bring my computer to work (it already has Delphi 4)
  9. Copy C:\Bdev (over 10 GB) from my work computer to my home computer
  10. Step 9 will take several hours
  11. Install Delphi 6 and all our development tools
  12. Take computer home (sometime in November)
  13. Start working from home 3 days a week
  14. Install XO Laptop emulator on Linux partition
  15. Translate TIL Loader from Object Pascal into Python
  16. Port TIL Loader to Linux/Sugar/XO Laptop
  17. Apply to OLPC for web hosting

No comments: